Our feet need a little attention as they bear our weight every day; they help us moving around, holding us up and grounding us to the earth.
Lately, people are more aware about their feet so the new spa centers are offering foot massage which will help in relaxing your feet after a long day.
First let’s talk about the roots of reflexology.
Foot massage is known to be healthy since the ancient China and Egypt and this treatment was also popular in the Roman Empire. But the modern doctors and therapists have started to use it in the last 100 years.
Reflexology can help you to stay healthy.
So, using some elements of reflexology as pressing specific points on the feet and massaging them, you can improve your overall health, alleviate specific medical conditions and maintain proper function of the body organs.
Find out which are some of the most common benefits of foot massage and reflexology:
- Stimulates muscles and nerves.
- Removes stress and fatigue.
- Improves immunity.
- Lessens stiffness.
- Unblocks energy flow.
- Leads to better sleep.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system.
- Helps to lower blood pressure.
- Increases metabolism.
- Normalizes body functions.
- Often relieves pain.
- Can relieve headaches and migraines
You don’t t need special training as the foot massage is relatively easy to do. You can find a reflexology chart below which can be useful before you start.
Basic Massage Steps:
- First you need to wash your feet. This will clean and warm them.
- To make the massage easier you should use a lubricant as the best masseurs do. You should add essential oil as well. You can add 1-2 drops of lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint or tea tree essential oil into your skin lotion. You can also add sweet almond oil or coconut oil.
- Start with your toes. Squeeze, pull and twist each toe separately, moving from the joint to the tip and from the largest toe to the smallest.
- Use your both thumbs, to massage the soles of your foot from top to bottom. Apply strong pressure for a few seconds to each spot. Pay attention to your pain or use the reflexology chart to help you.
- Massage heels, ankles and Achilles tendon.
- The tops of the feet are also important. They have reflexology points as well!
- Repeat this massage on the other foot.
- Best results are achieved if you are giving yourself a foot massage every night- claim the experts.
Just try it tonight and you will feel the results in the morning!