“Golden Milk” is a delicious and incredibly healthy beverage that can be consumed anytime, but is especially beneficial when taken in the evening.
The main ingredient in this recipe is turmeric. Turmeric contains curcumin, an active ingredient which has more than 150 medicinal properties, including anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
In combination with black pepper, the benefits of curcumin are even greater.
Health benefits of curcumin in combination with black pepper:
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and analgesic agent.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- It has anti – cancerous effect.
- It helps maintain cholesterol levels in check.
- It promotes digestive health.
- It detoxifies the liver.
- It regulates metabolism and weight.
- It regulates high blood pressure.
- It improves memory and brain health.
- It treats different skin conditions.
- It’s beneficial for some neurological disorders.
- It lowers triglycerides.
Adding black pepper to dishes savored with turmeric increases the absorption of curcumin by about 1,000 times due to piperine, the agent responsible for the pungency of black pepper. Yes, that’s right, mixing turmeric and black pepper together increases the body absorption of turmeric by 2,000%!
Step 1 – Turmeric Paste
- 1/4 cup turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Mix all ingredients in a small cooking pot stirring well.
- Stir constantly on medium heat until the mixture becomes a thick paste. This shouldn’t take long.
- Let the mixture cool and then store it in a small jar in the fridge.
Step 2 – Golden milk
- 1 cup almond milk (hemp or coconut are also a good option)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoons or more of the turmeric paste
- Mix all ingredients in a cooking pot, except for honey.
- Warm on medium heat while stirring constantly. Don’t boil. Add honey to taste.