There are various types of tomatoes like grape and cherry tomatoes. They got their names because of their form. Cherry tomatoes are round and the grape tomatoes are more oblong. They are not very different when it comes to taste; the both types are quite sweet. On the other hand many chefs prefer cherry tomatoes because of their flavor and texture. But still they are not quite similar when it comes to healthy properties.
This mini- version of traditional tomatoes is quite healthy as well. One cup of cherry tomatoes contains around 1.3 g of protein, 20 mg of vitamin C, and 1.8 g of fiber. They are also rich in these vitamins:
- Vitamin A – One cup of cherry tomatoes contain 63 mcg of vitamin A, which will help in keeping your eyes healthy. The National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements claims that this vitamin also helps in fighting macular degeneration related to age. Vitamin A helps in maintaining your white blood cells healthy and it also protects your kidneys, lungs and heart.
- Vitamin B-6 – One cup of cherry tomatoes also contains 0.11 mg of vitamin B-6. This vitamin metabolizes protein and also improves brain function and cognitive development.
Grape tomatoes like the cherry tomatoes are rich in various nutrients:
- Vitamin C – This vitamin keeps your immune system healthy, helps in forming protein and in healing wounds. It also helps in cleaning your body of toxins which damage your healthy cells. That is why it is especially important for cancer patients.
- Potassium – This mineral is especially important for proper functioning of your heart, muscles and nerves. Each grape tomato contains around as 40 mg of potassium.
- Phosphorus – This mineral is especially beneficial for your kidneys. It also improves the absorption of the important nutrients. Each grape tomato contains four mg of phosphorus.
Although they contain different nutrients, the both types are very healthy. They are rich in lycopene as well, like other types of tomatoes. Lycopene is proven to help in the fight against prostate cancer and heart diseases. By consuming these smaller versions of tomatoes you will definitely improve your health.