Houseplants are beautiful decoration in our home. They purify the air, attract positive energy, etc. However, you should be extremely careful when choosing your houseplant since there are many dangerous plants that can be toxic.
In this article you can learn about a common plant that a number of people worldwide have it in their homes.
Dieffenbachia or dumb cane has a bad reputation since its poison can have lethal consequences, and it has even been known to burn houses.
Recently, a 5-year-old boy, Esteban was playing around the house when suddenly he began experiencing severe stomach pain. At first, his parents thought it was just a regular stomach pain since Esteban had eaten too many sweets. However, after some time, the child was complaining to stronger pain and his parents decided to take him to the hospital. The doctors found that the child had an anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction which requires immediate treatment, such as an injection of epinephrine. If left untreated, anaphylaxis can have serious consequences, and even death.
This plant contains needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals, known as raphides. According to experts, the toxicity of the plant is caused by its proteloytic enzymes that stimulate histamine secretion. If you chew a leaf of the plant, the crystals may cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. Also, it may result in mastication and ingestion.
When children and pets come into contact with dieffenbachia (as from chewing) there can be a lot of unpleasant symptoms, such as intense numbing, excessive drooling, oral irritation, and localized swelling. Generally, the symptoms are mild and can be successfully treated with analgesics, antihistamines, or medical charcoal. Gastric evacuation is rarely needed. Typically, in patients exposed to toxic plants, 70% are children under the age of 5.