We all try to save energy and money as well, so instead buying standard bulbs we choose the environmentally-friendly new generation energy saving light bulbs. But you must be aware that these modern bulbs are really toxic. The .S. Environmental Protection Agency released an emergency protocol you need to follow if the bulb breaks. This is because they contain poison gas which is released in case of bulb breakage. The Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency claims that if the breakage happens indoors it releases even 20 times more mercury in the air then it is allowed.
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Cause:
- Cluster headaches
- Inability to concentrate
- Energy saving bulbs contain great amount of mercury.
Mercury is especially dangerous to children and pregnant women as it is known as potent neurotoxin. It damages the nervous system, brain, liver kidneys and the brain. It also damages the, reproductive, immune and cardiovascular systems. It can also cause tremors, insomnia, headaches, anxiety, memory loss, cancer and Alzheimer’s.
- Energy saving bulbs can cause cancer.
Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory conveyed a new study which found that these bulbs also contain toxic and carcinogenic properties which cause cancer:
- Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid. It is obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture.
- Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound. It is produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
- Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct.
- Energy saving light bulbs emit a lot of UV rays.
Energy saving bulbs emit UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. We all know that UV- radiation is not healthy for the skin as it can cause skin cancer. It damages the eyes as well. The radiation also immediately attacks and damages the skin tissue and the immune system.
So after reading this, you’ll maybe choose to use the regular incandescent bulbs. But if you still want to use energy saving light bulbs because they are cheap and cost saving, then you should read the protocol and find out how to deal with mercury and cancer-causing chemicals:
- People and Pets must leave the room.
- Open the doors and windows for 5-10 minutes.
- Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system.
- Find materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
- Cardboard or Stiff paper
- Sticky tape
- Wet paper towels or wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
- A glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
- DO NOT VACUUM. Use the vacuum cleaner only in case if there are still glass remains after all other cleanup steps. With vacuuming you will spread the mercury vapor and mercury -containing powder.
- Use stiff paper or cardboard to scoop up the remaining small glass pieces and powder. Then you can take sticky tape like duct tape to pick up the powder and the glass pieces. After that, put the used tape in a plastic bag or glass jar.
- Throw away the cleanup materials in a sealable container.
- Avoid leaving any fragments or cleanup materials inside your home.
- The next step is to check if you have any local recycling center in your community. If there isn’t any, dispose the materials with your household trash.
- If you can, leave the windows and doors open and do not turn on the conditioning system for several hours.