We have already talked about that indoor plants are extremely beneficial to your health and should be kept in the house. But there are flowers, which are not desirable, even sometimes dangerous to be kept in the house. The leaves and other parts of such plants are often poisonous. Some of them have a very intense aroma and biologically active substances, which can, especially in a hypersensitive people, cause headaches, and what is worse – an allergic reaction, which many are not aware that they are due to the plants that they have in their home.
But, fortunately, these plants are not many. Here I will mention only those that are commonly found in our homes.
These plants are not advisable to be kept in homes:
The most dangerous plants are: azaleas, clivia, euphorbia milii ,monstera, hydrangea, browallia (Browallia L.), gloriosa, philodendron, oleander, croton and dieffenbachia. Unfortunately these plants are often present in homes. But they are a real threat, especially for young children.
So, for example, the juice from Gloriosa is very dangerous for children, because if somehow gets into the body of a child (a child accidentally bites off the leaf) causes hair loss and attacks the kidneys.
Clivia contains Lycorine which in high doses can cause paralysis. In small doses can cause poisoning and vomiting.
If you accidentally eat a beautiful azalea leaf, you will get intestinal spasms and epileptic seizures.
Dieffenbachia, a very nice room tree, it is also dangerous. Its juice is poisonous and can cause serious poisoning in children and in adults as well because they can get burned from this plant when cutting its leaves or buds.
Philodendron leaves contain poisonous acid. If the child tries its taste can get poisoned.
Lilies and ferns
During the night they absorb oxygen and emit carbon dioxide, which can lead to early morning headaches, with no apparent reason. In addition, the strong smell of lilies can cause insomnia. These plants should not be kept in the bedrooms.
Tuberose also emits particles that stimulate the sense of smell. People, who suffer from hypertension, heart disease, by breathing its scent for a long time, often feel discomfort and dizziness and depression can occur.