Although dandelion is most often thought of as a pesky weed that takes over lawns and gardens, luckily, it is also an excellent food and herbal medicine that anyone can find, grow, and put to use.
Dandelion is a rich source of beta-carotene which our bodies convert into vitamin A. It’s also abundant in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus. Plus, it contains considerable amounts of B complex vitamins, trace minerals, organic sodium, and even vitamin D. Dandelion contains protein too, even more than spinach. It has been eaten for thousands of years and used in treatment of anemia, scurvy, skin problems, blood disorders, and depression.
You can easily prepare this dandelion tincture at home, and use it throughout the year.
– Raw dandelion including its roots, leaves and flowers
– Brandy or vodka
- Pick fresh dandelions that grow far from traffic roads and pollution (preferably when blossoming in the spring).
- Wash all the parts, dry and cut them into small pieces; you can also grind them in a blender.
- Put the minced dandelions into a glass jar and add alcohol (brandy or vodka).
- Close the jar well and store it in room temperature, out of sunlight for 3 weeks.
- Shake it from time to time. After 3 weeks, strain the mixture using gauze.
- Dandelion tincture prepared in this way contains concentrated amount of nutrients.
- Keep the tincture in a glass jar in a dark place.
- Take 20-30 drops of the tincture every day (optionally you can take more).
- Take this dosage three times a day, with a half glass of water.
- Take a break after three months.
This tincture decreases inflammation in the body, particularly in the blood vessels, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It’s also highly efficient in reducing and preventing many types of cancer, especially breast, prostate and skin cancers.
Moreover, dandelion tincture is used in treatment of rheumatic arthritis and gout. It’s especially beneficial for improving renal function and liver cleansing. Plus, it treats effectively problems with fat, thus helping to reduce blood cholesterol. It also regulates high blood pressure and cleanses the blood in general. It is highly recommended for menopausal issues, problems with breastfeeding, cysts and allergies.
It stimulates the secretion of bile, and is especially recommended to diabetics.