Ringworm (Dermatophytosis) is actually a fungal infection which appears on the skin, scalp and nails. This is not a life- threatening condition and can be treated with conventional medicines. Children are more affected by this disease than adults. It can become more serious if the scalp is affected. Besides the common drugs, natural remedies can help in defeating ringworms.
Types of Ringworm?
There are several different types of ringworm:
- Tinea pedis (Feet): This type may cause scaling between the toes. It can cause thickening and scaling on the heels and soles as well.
- Tinea cruris (Groin): Tinea Cruris also known as jock itch causes an itchy, chafed, reddish and sometimes painful rash in the groin area.
- Tinea corporis (Body): This common type of ringworm produces flat, round and scaly spots on the skin.
- Tinea capitis (scalp): This type of ringworm begins with small lumps on the head which grow bigger in size and form a circular pattern.
- Tinea manus (Hand): This ringworm affects the palms and also the spaces between the fingers.
- Tinea unguium (Nail): Tinea Unguium causes the fingernails and toenails to become thick, crumbly and yellow.
- Tinea faciei (Face): Tinea faciei affects the face by causing red, scaly patches on the skin.
The symptoms usually will appear after 4 to 10 days from initial exposure. The symptoms of scalp ringworm appear around 10 days after the exposure.
Natural Remedies to Treat Ringworm:
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is used against ringworm which affects the feet. It contains antiseptic and anti- fungal properties and that is why it is widely used in treating fungal infections. Tea Tree Oil is also used against acne and pimples. You just need to soak a cotton ball in the oil and apply it on the affected areas, three times a day.
If you use it regularly the disease can disappear completely. You will achieve better results if the oil is of the same temperature as the body. So, warm the oil slightly before the treatment. This oil is also used in cosmetics, against burns, wounds and cuts.
Garlic contains ajoene,a natural anti-fungal agent. It is effective in healing many kinds of fungal infections, including ring worm. We all know that garlic is used in preventing hair loss. If it is used regularly it can help against ringworm. Peel a clove and cut it into small slices. Put them on the affected area and fix them with bandage. Keep the compress overnight for best results. You can also prepare a thick paste and apply it on the ringworm!
Apple Cider Vinegar
APC is mainly used for salad dressing but it is also proven to be one of the best home remedies for weight loss. It has natural anti fungal properties which are effective against ringworm infection. It also helps in reducing high blood pressure. Soak a cotton ball in ACV and apply it on the affected area a few times a day. Do this until the patches are gone. Dermatologists recommend applying it 3 to 5 times for three days, for best results.
Coconut oil for ringworm
Coconut oil can help against grey hair and other scalp problems. It contains substances which are highly beneficial against ringworm. It also helps against itching and makes the skin soft and smooth. It is widely used in treating scalp ringworm. Just apply it on the scalp before going to bed and the infection will be gone.
Vinegar and Salt
Make a thick paste from vinegar and salt and apply it on the ringworm, Wait for 5 minutes and rinse. People who have tried this treatment claim that after 7 days the infection is gone entirely.
Aloe Vera hair mask is widely used as it is extremely effective. It is also a great remedy against skin infections and against ringworm. Apply Aloe Vera gel directly on the skin before going to bed and rinse it in the morning. Apply it until the ringworm disappears completely.